Should Joe Biden allow Saudi Arabia to join the BRICS nations?
Neither Joe Biden nor any US government has the right to allow or prevent Saudi Arabia from joining the BRICS. BRICS is an acronym for an alliance of five major emerging economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The decision to admit new members to the BRICS bloc is voted on by the bloc's exsting members, and there is no official process or power for the United States or any other country to influence that decision.
According to a Bloomberg report on April 24, Anil Sooklal, South Africa's special envoy for Asian and BRICS affairs, said in an interview that the BRICS countries will hold a meeting in Cape Town, South Africa from June 2 to 3 to discuss expansion member problem.
On November 7 last year, the Algerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that the country had formally submitted its application to join the BRICS. When Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov met with Indian Foreign Minister Jaishankar on November 8, he said that at least 12 countries are interested in joining the BRICS countries, and the five BRICS countries are formulating criteria for joining.
Saudi Arabia has already applied to join the BRICS. Whether it can succeed or not depends on the opinions of the members.
When did Biden gets to tell Saudi Arabia what it can or cannot do? Are you so ignorant that you don’t even know Saudi Arabia: (1) refused Biden’s request to increase oil output, (2) in fact, Saudi Arabia had arrange for OPEC to reduce oil output by 2 million barrels per day, (3) sign major contracts with China, and, (4) accept RMB instead of USD as payment for oil.
Elliott J. Schuchardt
The United States should be leading the move to an international currency. This would mean that all nations — including Saudi Arabia and the United States — would price commodities in a new currency, issued either by BRICS or the World Bank.
If the United States does not do this ASAP, the value of the dollar will collapse when BRICS does this without United States participation.
Joe Biden , or any US politician is NOT the boss of any other country. Especially Saudi Arabia after he publicly called them a “Pariah” country and vowed to make them pay for their sins and banned arms sales. Then he expects them to follow his orders and not make their own decisions. American leaders really do have a warped sense of their country's 'importance
Biden and the US has no authority to allow or otherwise to another sovereign nation.
Unfortunately tis this sort of american public mentality/expectations that garners no friends in parts of the world that will continue to perceive the US as the domineering hegemon
This a lesson in how NOT to make friends and influence people LOL
Luckily Biden is pretty savvy and skillful in foreign policy …… unlike the orange blimp that preceeded who made pals with murderers and despots while denigrating long time allies
What a joke, you mean any sovereign country or nation who wish to join BRICS need to get approval from the US ?
Why does Saudi Arabia want to join BRICS?
After Russia-Ukraine war, many countries are now understanding where the world order is heading. They are now realising the hypocrisy of the west. Whenever any country does not work according to the west (mainly US), then later they will support rival party to create and build pressure to the country. This is like doing indirect blackmail.
The same is now happening with India. As soon as India is becoming neutral, the US is supporting Pakistan.
Saudi Arabia understands this. They are remaining neutral and somewhat supporting Russia in oil production issue. Now, Iran will be the full-fledged member of BRICS from 2023.
China, India, Russia all are showing neutral positions regarding Saudi-Iran issue. They don’t want to get caught up. It was US who was not neutral. Because of this, they were benefiting immediately and long-term trust issues will happen.
Anyway, many off topic things are written but they are important for understanding issue as a whole. Overall, US is not going anywhere. They can play a lot cards. US dollars will stay global currency and not going anywhere anytime soon.
You will be surprised that there are Sovereign Nations that do not need any permission from the US to govern themselves as they see fit. In this case, the US has neither a vote or voice in this matter.
Mrs Lili Basu Biswas
Will Saudi Arabia really join BRICS and end petrodollar hegemony?
Not only Saudis but many other countries, who are long being ally of West, are feeling political suffocating in western block. They are feeling to be used by western block and their leader America. Western block is only think about its own interests. Western block always exploits its allies for their own benefits.
But when allies needs help then western block first protect their own interest. Saudi Arabia helped a lot to American.
1. In 1970s when USA had delink US dollar from gold then Saudi backed PetroDollar help to strengthen the US Dollar.
2. Saudis has big role to promote dollar in OPEC countries.
3. Arabia has provided military base for USA despite Arab countries and its people are not favour of Americans due to American support for isreal
4. Western energy companies has earn a lot money by doing business with Saudis. They gets privileges from Saudi Arabia.
5. Whenever West wants to influence the oil market then Saudi help them.
6. In 2014 when Russia has invaded Ukraine first time then with western influence Saudi had started oil war with Russia to hurt Russia. Though Saudi had nothing to do with that geo political issue.
7. Saudis buys huge weapons from Western countries. It does not buy Russian or Chinese weapons as alternative to West.
Many such examples are there.
But in return Saudis are not getting enough.
1. Saudis has a big aspiration. Its wants to be regional power. But western block is not allowing to have that crown for Saudi Arabia. They wants to have that crown for Israel only.
2. When Saudis wanted to establish their own puppet government in Yemen then it had asked for western support. But West did not support it. Eventually Saudis form a military alliance force with its allies and invade Yemen in 2019. Western block has criticise that move. And impose saction on Saudis.
3. Western countries continuously encouraging anti Saudis movement in their own country. Western countries tome to time hit Saudis with human ri hts, women rights, gender equality, LGBTQ and religious issues.
4. Western countries are moving away from fossil fuel. In next 20–30 years, they would be minor depending on fossil fuel. At least its their plan. It means Saudi Arabia would gradually loose its position and influence on western block.
3. 西方国家不断鼓励本国的反沙特运动。西方国家不时在人 权、妇女权利、性别平等、同性恋和宗教问题上抨击沙特。
5. Saudi Arabia knows it cannot rely of America for prolong time for security. Their over dependent on America is wreaking their negotiation position with American. They has to surrender into blackmail of America. So Saudi Arabia needs to be independent and find new alternatives for security.
6. OIC organisation does not succeed as political and militarily.
7. Saudis understand that there is much needed counter balance of western block. Otherwise it would keep forced by western blocks
Many other things are there. BRICS is seems a good alternative other than western block because of big powers like Russia and China. It would give Saudis much needed breathing space. Experts are already tagging BRICS as non western alliance. Though BRICS is mearly a economic alliance. But it is transforming itself into a political + economic organisation. And might be in future military elements could be added into it. By joining BRICS, Saudis can counter balance the pressure of western block. Currently Saudi Arabia is exploring the BRICS as an option. But after 8–10 years, it might be emerged as alternative.
US believes they are Boss and King of the world, they are not. They are just the world biggest International and most deadly and dangerous Bully, who overestimate their steadily dwindling power and control over the World.