IKEA’s first India store opens on Thursday: 5 things to know
NEW DELHI: Swedish retail giant IKEA opens doors of its first store in India on Thursday in the erstwhile city of the 'Nizams'-- Hyderabad. The outlet is the first of 25 stores the world’s largest furniture retailer plans to open in India.
Here are five things to know about IKEA’s maiden store in India:
- The Swedish multinational has invested more than Rs 1,000 crore on the Hyderabad outlet (including land, construction and capital goods). The Hyderabad IKEA store will have a direct staff strength of 950 employees and additionally 1500 would be employed indirectly in services.
- The four-lakh square feet store is spread across 13 acres and will display nearly 7,500 products. Around 1,000 of those products will be available for under Rs 200, IKEA said in an official statement.
- 20 per cent of the products sold will be locally sourced, IKEA added. The store will exhibit two full homes that reflect ‘Life at Home in Hyderabad’, besides different room sets based on different parts of the house like bedroom, kitchen, children’s room and living room. It will also have a market hall where one will find home kitchen utensils and accessories, textiles, rugs, lighting, decoration, stationary and live plants.
- The store will stay open through the week from 10 am to 11 pm and the company expects up to 60 lakh visitors in a year. “In terms of the products, the company will be bringing its classic IKEA range along with a small percentage of locally relevant products for the Indian market like masala boxes, pressure cookers, tawas, idli makers, colourful sheets and mattresses made with coconut fibre centre. Customers will also be able to buy global classics like the BILLY bookcase, KLIPPAN sofa, LACK table and POäNG armchair among others,” IKEA said.
- IKEA’s Hyderabad store will have the company’s largest restaurant globally. The 1,000-seater restaurant will have several vegetarian options, including Indian cuisine, on the menu. “The restaurant will offer 50 per cent Swedish specialities like salmon and chicken and vegetarian meatballs and 50 per cent local delicacies like biryani, samosas, dal makhni in the case of Hyderabad,” the company said. The Swedish retailer added the food would be "very affordable" -- a plate of samosas will cost Rs 10.
After Hyderabad, next on the map for IKEA is Mumbai where it is currently constructing its store and hopes to open its doors to the public by next summer. IKEA has been sourcing from India for its global stores for more than 30 years.
In India, IKEA will compete with the likes of Future Group's HomeTown, startups Pepperfry and UrbanLadder.
来源：三泰虎 http://www.santaihu.com/45779.html 译者：Jessica.Wu
I Love My India376 I Love My-17 hours ago
Thank you IKEA. We hope to get better offers with modern furnitures and good service
Rajendra Singh629 Rajendra-17 hours ago
now the days of the furniture loot are over
Bhartiya Sach9699 Bhartiya-17 hours ago -Follow
All because of Modi.....Make In India
Ragsvan615289 Ragsvan6 -Location-17 hours ago -Follow
Welcome IKEA you ate the best. We have been to your stores in the US of A there is nothing to beat your range & prices too not to speak of quality. Great you have chosen rapidly growing Metro Hyd as your first city.
Debu Sen2830 Debu Sen-17 hours ago -Follow
This is a god news. I wish there were one store in Calcutta; but again it is a very very risky proposition.
Kumar4433 kumar-mumbai-15 hours ago -Follow
All that they offer is "Bhoosa" (Sawdust) polished to look like teak
Anonymous Anonymous-bangalore-17 hours ago -Follow
IKEA is a big name in Europe hope they give some competition to Indian player so that the consumer get better option at lower price.
Judge Dread2322 Judge Dread-16 hours ago -Follow
Why in Hyderabad? So that those Tollywood movie makers can use those cheap furniture in even more ridiculous stunt scenes in their movies?
Shashi Kant357 Shashi Kant-Delhi, India-16 hours ago -Follow
hope they open one in Delhi / NCR
Ahmed Aashif887 Ahmed-14 hours ago -Follow
A historical moment for hyderabad.
Viswanathan Iyer10258 Viswanathan Iyer-Bangalore-12 hours ago -Follow
Congratulations Hyderabad. Hope IKEA will open their branches in all major Indian cities. All the Best.
Vihin16641 vihin-Nihiv-15 hours ago -Follow
The BJP, while in opposition, was opposed to the entry of foreign companies into retail trade. Now being in gov-ent, it has hypocritically reversed its position.
Rene Fernandez8138 Rene Fernandez-juffair-13 hours ago -Follow
Congrats to both Hyderabad and IKEA !!!
Babu A Rukmambara46 Babu A Rukmambara-16 hours ago -Follow
it''s good to see IKEA in Hyderabad.I visited the IKEA stores in Houston. Looks like India is becoming GLOBAL VILLAGE
TCRBabu468 TCRBabu-TCR-17 hours ago -Follow
Malasian Furniture are also good, that also should be made available. IKEA''s ply products, some of them are not strong and won''t last from my experience in Middle East. But some of their kitchen items are excellent and durable.
Harjot Singh9608 Harjot Singh-15 hours ago -Follow
A very positive entry into the Indian market. This will improve the standard of furniture making in India and will generate exports which will benefit many furniture making units in India.
Roshan Amex1729 Roshan Amex-15 hours ago -Follow
Good news, Indian customer will now have more options to choose now. Interior decoration is becoming a boom and IKEA will capitalize on this boom.