外文标题：China will overthrow US as world superpower. HERE'S WHY!
The Great Recession of 2008 hit United States hard and its impact seems to have a domino effect of sorts. Since 2008, perceptions about the economic balance of power in the world have been shifting.
China has gained rapidly over the past few years and will ultimately replace America as the world’s top global economic force, indicated polls conducted by Pew Research Center’s Global Attitudes Project.
Looking at the 20 nations surveyed in both 2008 and 2013, the median percentage naming the US as the world’s leading power has declined from 47 per cent to 41 per cent while the median percentage placing China in the top spot has increased from 20 per cent to 34 per cent.
This trend has been especially apparent among some of America’s closest allies in Western Europe.
- 53 per cent in Britain say China is the leading economy.
- 33 per cent Brits name US the superpower.
- Six-in-ten Germans (59 per cent) say China occupies the top position, while only 19 per cent think the US is the global economic leader, according to the survey.
- In 23 of 39 nations, majorities say China either already has replaced or eventually will replace the US as the top superpower.
- However, the US is still seen as the world’s leading economy in Latin America, Africa and Asia. According to the poll, 67 per cent in Japan and Philippines and 61 per cent in South Korea back the US.
- 47 per cent Chinese say their nation has already or will replace the US, and 47 per cent are of the opinion that this never happen.
- The American opinion has shifted significantly since 2008, when only 36 per cent said China would become the top global power and 54 per cent believed it would never replace the US
- Only six countries believe China will never replace the US.
Though the survey was conducted in India, the results were not included.
The military power of both nations worries many. China’s growing military strength is viewed with trepidation in neighbouring India, Japan, South Korea, Australia and the Philippines.
- More than 9 in 10 in Japan (96 per cent) and South Korea (91 per cent) say that China’s growing military power is a bad thing, the poll points out.
- Seven-in-ten Australians (71 per cent) are concerned about the growing strength of the People’s Liberation Army.
- Only 2 per cent Pakistanis concerned about China’s military prowess
There is also less concern about China in Malaysia (20 per cent) and Indonesia (39 per cent). It is notable, however, that the proportion of Pakistanis, Malaysians and Indonesians who think China’s growing military power is a positive thing for their country is actually down from previous surveys.
Half or more of those surveyed in 16 of 38 nations surveyed see China as more of a partner.
- 82 per cent in Pakistan think China is a partner.
- 78 per cent Malaysians think China is friendly.
- A number of African nations -- including Senegal (78 per cent), Kenya (77 per cent), Nigeria (71 per cent) and Ghana (70 per cent) – are strongly of the view that China is a national partner.
- 58 per cent Americans think China is neither a partner nor an enemy.
- Only four nations -- Japan (40 per cent), the Philippines (39 per cent), Italy (39 per cent) and Turkey (36 per cent) – look at China as the enemy.
Despite their proximity to China, in Southeast and South Asia, the public does not believe China has a greater impact on their countries than the US.
- Malaysians feel there is 72 per cent of Chinese impact on their economy.
- China’s influence is 41 per cent and America’s 44 per cent, feel Pakistanis.
- 87 per cent Pakistanis feel China’s influence is good. Only 5 per cent say America has a positive impact.
- Nearly equal percentages of Indonesians say the two world powers have an influence on their economy (75 per cent for China and 72 per cent for the US). Filipinos, meanwhile, are more likely to believe the US (89 per cent) has a great deal or fair amount of influence on their economy than to say the same about China (69 per cent).
- China is in favour in Malaysia. Indonesians rate each world power’s influence relatively equally.
Among most nations surveyed, people under age 30 are especially likely to have a positive view of America.
- In Turkey, 38 per cent of 18- to 29-year-olds give the US a favorable rating, compared with just eight per cent of Turks age 50 and older.
- 50 per cent in China who are under 30 havea favourable view compared with just 27 per cent among people 50 and older.
- Similarly, in Malaysia there is a 21-percentage point gap between 18-to 29-year-olds and those 50 and older.
When asked whether they think of the US as a partner to their country, an enemy, or neither, clear majorities in 22 nations say it is a partner. It is seen as an enemy in only four nations included in the survey.
Five of the eight European Union countries polled describe the US as a partner.
- 72 per cent Germans consider US a partner.
- 67 per cent in France think of it as an ally.
- Only 30 per cent of Greeks express this opinion, 22 per cent say the US is an enemy.
- Russians are closely divided: 31 per cent consider the US a partner, but 26 per cent see it as an enemy.
- Among Middle Eastern nations, only Israelis (90 per cent) think of the US as a partner.
- 76 per cent of Palestinians consider the US an enemy.
- In Pakistan, 64 per cent describe America as an enemy.
Since US President Barack Obama took office in 2009, his popularity has given America’s image a significant boost, especially in Europe. Obama has largely received more positive ratings than his predecessor, George W Bush. But, Obama’s ratings today are lower than when he took office. China has seen a steep decline in the US president’s popularity.
- 88 per cent Germans back Obama and his policies.
- 83 per cent in France; 81 per cent in Canada are Obama supporters.
- 31 per cent Chinese support Obama today, as against 62 per cent in 2009.
Egypt and Pakistan, two nations that are major recipients of US assistance, but surprisingly they do not view it positively.
- 55 per cent in Egypt say economic aid is not useful.
- 43 per cent Pakistanis think impact of US aid is negative.
- However, in the sub-Saharan African countries surveyed -- Kenya, Ghana, Uganda – the US receives positive marks of assistance.
Compared with the US, the government of China receives much lower ratings for how it treats its citizens.
- 87 per cent in Germany, 86 per cent in France believe individual freedoms are not respected in China.
- 84 per cent in Spain and 82 per cent in Italy feel the same.
- 47 per cent Russians feel the Chinese government respects people’s rights.
- Majorities in 37 of the 39 nations surveyed say the US government respects personal freedoms. The highest ratings for the US on this question come from the Philippines (91 per cent) and South Korea (9 per cent). And at least eight-in-ten hold this view in Lebanon (8 per cent), Japan (85 per cent), Israel (83 per cent), Italy (82 per cent), Germany (81 per cent) and France (80 per cent).
The Obama administration’s use of drone strikes faces broad opposition -- half or more in 31 of 39 countries disapprove of drone attacks against extremist groups. At least three-in-four hold this view in 15 countries from all corners of the world, including nations from the Middle East, Europe, Latin America and Asia, the survey says.
However, three countries support the drone campaign:
- 61 per cent Americans back their government’s drone policy.
- 64 per cent Israelis approve of the US drone strikes; 56 per cent in Kenya.
- German support for drone attacks has actually risen slightly since last year -- today, 45 per cent approve, compared with 38 per cent in 2012.
- 45 per cent in France back drone strikes.
huge market for toothpaste and mouthwash
if one can convince the chinese that they have the worst instances of bad breath on earth. Sheesh.
The Chinese economy
is today about four times the size of the Indian one.
And the Chinese are still growing at about 8 % per annum while the Indians are now at about 6 %.
The 4 to 1 gap could soon become 5 to 1, then 7 to 1 and so on.
And all the while, stuxpid middle class Indians keep braying about the Indian economy soon overtaking the Chinese one!
China will become a superpower but won't overtake USA
Even if China surpass USA in economy/GDP/Military, it's missing influential soft-power. USA, the past 60 years has become a hyper-superpower due to its strong influential soft-power. American culture has become a fabric of every society in the world and will probably last 1000 years. China will surpass USA, but will become a 2nd superpower on par with USA.
by Sharmila Bose
After destroying EU, US and now it is China's turn to get destroyed.. All their economic prosperity is vested in Arm and Weapon and militarily support to British IR..
Super Power Game is just an eyewash..
a long march
by li chao
In 80s Deng Xiaoping said that China will be a mid-developed country by 2050. And Uganda plan to be a mid-income country by 2016. So you can know the position where China is, and how hard to get it
Phew ! Research Centre survey
Highest chance is that the survey's outcome is rubbish.
Without conducting survey one can say that China will replace US in less than a decade. More drastic developments will see it happen even faster.
Some people and agencies do not have worthwhile job
so they do such surveys to draw attention.
Just like in India, some agencies did surveys and declared that so and so percent voters like the killer leader of Gujarat is more popular...and the ruling party will lose some vote share...blah blah blah
印度也一样，某些机构发起调查，然后宣布有多少比例的选民支持古吉拉特邦的领导人，谁更受欢迎，执政党将会失去一些选票.......blah blah blah......
Super power China Vs America
by venkata sivananda
Super power is not related to increase in manpower might. In this advanced world, manpower alone will not make any country superpower.
Secondly if you look at China, it is very small country compared to USA.
Thirdly how China will never replace USA for its own interests. China is over dependent on many countries for want of natural resources
Re: Super power China Vs America
should google the information before posting false information. Isn't USA chasing after resources around the world, they lost a continent "Africa" to China.
Re: Super power China Vs America
China is small compared to USA ? Nonsense.
China is the third biggest in terms of land area and US is fourth.
China is first in terms of population.
China's economy will be the biggest in just about 7 to 8 years.
Re: Super power China Vs America
by vilas apte
Who is this Sivananda,his IQ seems to be in single digits. He is saying China is a small country, for his information China's land mass is bigger than his favourite USA's.
China replacing the US? It doesn't happen just because many people surveyed think so. The hard realities are that China started as the global hub for outsourced manufacturing and to a large extent continues even today to be that. It doesn't create technology, it only copies them. Their role in world affairs is minimal. Can the Chinese think of intervening in other countries like the US or even the Europe does? Their intimidatory rhetoric and actions are confined to Asia alone, where China is viewed as a bully. No doubt China has done remarkably well in human development index. It has grown economically, but at the cost of poisoned environment and related health issues.
It it still early to even think of China replacing the US in anything except may be the economy. China has grown but has retained the petty mindedness of a small nation.
by Jai Babu
Excellent comments kskumar!
And do not forget that China is the main supporter of regimes like North Korea & Myanmar. Even look at how China supports Pakistan!
by vilas apte
You are right KS, China can never be a USA, because it does not have that type of money to invade other countries and maintain its army there( to be designated as a superpower). At the most China can overtake USA in the remaining industrial parameters(as it has already gone ahead of USA in steel, cement,aluminium,car(production & sales),infrastructure spending,exports,etc), but due to its huge population will never be able to surpass USA’s per capita income(PCI),though it may overtake USA in GDP output. At the most China could reach to become a medium high economic level country with a PCI about $ 20,000-$ 25,000/year.
by Venkat Srinivasan
Wonder how people even dream of such things!! Then time for Marxists in India to celebrate!! Build temples for Mao!!! High hopes!!!
by Nirpinder Singh
Yippee! Then India will be the Mexico of the Asian Continent
Who is the author of this article?
by Doctor Snow
Useless author... Why is this word used frequently?
The word "Superpower" belongs to cold war era. and it belongs to only to the two arch rival countries that survived the COLD WAR.
Superpower is the power to deliver death and destruction to the enemy in an unimaginable way at its fullest, the world could ever imagine and witness.
It has nothing to do with economy.
These two countries are still SUPERPOWERS. They both still have the potential Defense wise.
by usha sundaram
If, just in case if, U.S. decides to stop all imports from China, China's economy will go in tailspin. Whether U.S. will do this drastic step is nother question. China's economy is U.S. centric and cannot survive with out U.S. supporting its manufacturing base. It is as simple as that.
Re: Let's see
Are you aware that whole of the great Indian IT sector is fully dependent on US & Europe?
Re: Let's see
by Praveen Lakhotia
Usha madam, today China holds $ 1.32 trillion US T-Bonds,(it holds over 20% of bonds, the maximum by far of all countries) try to visualize what will be the fate of the US $ if China sells releases even half of its stock of T-Bonds in the market. The $ will crash, therefore US will never stop buying Chinese goods,it will use strong language against China,pull it up on human rights, but will never take harsh action,because of this above danger.
We are interested in
by Jugal Ahuja
We are interested in seeing & knowing how the Indian participants voted in the above survey. I am sure Indians must have voted very favourably for the US,as every years thousands of Indians leave our shores for higher studies and seek a future in a country,which in their minds is heaven on earth.Japanese and Indians fear/hate China the most amongst Asians.
China & India
In China the communist government is for the people while in India the congress government is by the people for loot the people.
Re: .China & India
in communist China if you protest against government you will probably face a firing squad..in India you could become a leader .that's the difference
Re: .China & India
in India a person who masterminded massacres and holocausts could run for PM.. not in China
To be superpower one also needs to be innovative and be ahead in race. But China is not in that league. They are best only in duplicating and imitating. However fast they do this ,their nose will still be behind the first who is innovating.
USA is just waiting to repeat the USSR on CHINA
by vinod shenbaga
USA is ,was and will remain the supreme power.
Re: China as a Super Power
Read news like
Chinese Bank Tops World Banks Ranking For First.
Read News like
China Holds usd one trillion in bonds
Global Trade and china
Largest army on Earth
Rather than sharing thoughts of your autism
Re: Re: China as a Super Power
by Doctor Snow
buying bond paper of your competitor. You think that's a good idea?
What largest army? The count?
The US destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 2 days. Numbers doesnt matter.
China is fake
by Doctor Snow
US IS REAL. US has so many practical victories.
They have practically invented, discovered,used and abused
every technology and discovery known to mankind.
Americans are Hardworkers too. Otherwise they cannot be in Number One.
Their Legal System is the best in the world. Their Influence and Power and Hardwork and Intelligence and Potential is far far from any other country.
Like it or not. China is no match for United States.
USA is 100 years ahead of China
What a joke. Since when did nations become powerful due to public opinion.Western countries/USA are far ahead. Their economy is solid . China'sEconomy is based on consumption in USA.USA is 100 years ahead of China in Technology.China is acopy cat. It follows USA.It can never overtake USA
INDIA WILL OVER TAKE CHINA
by peri kamesh
IN NEXT FEW YEARS INDIA WILL OVER TAKE CHINA
Re: INDIA WILL OVER TAKE CHINA
You hv to get rid of the Congress first.
Re: Re: INDIA WILL OVER TAKE CHINA
Congress made India the second fastest growing economy in the world.
by Ravinder Rawat
Once China overtakes US, the congress can happily give away ladakh, Arunchal and other north east parts of the country. now lets wait for pakistan to become stronger than us!