原文标题：China Plans $4.7 Billion Tibet Theme Park
BEIJING -- Tibet's capital will spend billions to build a massive cultural theme park to boost tourism.
The official Xinhua News Agency said Friday that 30 billion yuan ($4.7 billion) will be spent in the next three to five years to build an 800-hectare (3-sqaure-mile) park near downtown. Its theme will be the ancient Chinese princess Wencheng who became a symbol of ethnic friendship by marrying a Tibetan king.
Xinhua says the park will also showcase Tibetan folk arts and medicine.
Beijing has spent heavily to improve the Tibetan economy in hopes of winning over ethnic residents, but its heavy-handed rule has drawn criticism. Many Tibetans accuse the government of religious persecution and cultural assimilation and say such huge projects quicken those changes.
06:10 PM on 07/07/2012
The theme park is clear evidence of China's anxiety over various ethnic provinces they fear of potentially losing control over. I can think of 3 provinces that fall under this category : Tibet, Xinjiang (Muslims) and Inner-Mongolia. The three provinces account for a 1/3 of China's area but only about 4% of the population (50 million). Still, if unattended , the provinces could stir up civil unrest. Theme park is a better plan, if it works, than doing it the old Chinese way of sending in the troops to quell the Tibetans with brutal force. Is China getting more enlightened as time goes on?
Let's be clear:
(1) Western media are forever biased when Tibet is concerned, just like China media are forever biased.
(2) Tibetans who fled to other countries do not fully represent Tibetans living in Tibet.
(3) China does not want Tibet to fail, but many other countries do.
(4) Its was Chinese communists who told Tibetan serfs "humans are born equal" and sent their children to school for the first time.
03:26 PM on 07/07/2012
they have the money... they don't need to borrow it and they don't need to print it... unlike here..
12:44 PM on 07/07/2012
CHINA DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE WORDS ENVIROMENTAL IMPACT MEAN..
09:14 AM on 07/07/2012
China must be run by a bunch of right wing religious freaks just like in America. Whats the dfference between a 4.7 billion dollar theme park or another round of 4.7 billion dollar tax breaks for the 1%ers ????
09:08 AM on 07/07/2012
Step 1: Illegally occupy a nation, oppress its citizens, & send its spiritual leader into exhile.
Step 2: Build a theme park dedicated to your "friendship" ship said nation.
Step 3: PROFIT!!!!
10:31 AM on 07/07/2012
1 Tibet is legally a province of China.
2 A theme park in Tibet will bring Tibet out of Stone Age.
3 nothing wrong with capitalism, we do that everyday.
11:26 AM on 07/07/2012
1. "legally" as in genocide and ethnic cleansing
2. "theme" park, as in themed in Chinese propaganda (which is as simplistic as it is boring)
3. "capitalism" as in Communist government owning and controlling all business
01:46 PM on 07/07/2012
1. If by "legal province"you mean that China annexed it the same way Nazi Germany did Poland, by invading the country, committing genocide, then calling it a "province" then and made back room political deals with other heads of state not to force them out, then yes. Yes it is. The ONLY reason Tibet is a "legal province" is no one has forced China out of it.
2. If you actually believe that propaganda then you really are an idiot. Making an advanced urban/tourist center does not bring a country out of the "stone age". China itself is proof of that. It's rural Areas, which make up MOST of the country are still in said "stone age" The only part's of China not still in the "stone age" are the developed Urban area's.
3. State owned & ran businesses is not is not capitalism. THAT is socialism/communism,
07:10 AM on 07/07/2012
The Chinese military and government once again destroys Tibet even further. Their goal is to erase all of Tibetan culture to aid in reducing the influence of the Dali Lama who was forced out of his own country by the Chinese Military who essentially runs the Chinese goverment.
11:14 PM on 07/06/2012
What a stupid move by the Chinese government.
$4.7 Billion? Think about how many poor people can be helped with this money. Now all this will be wasted just for a few propaganda points.
What a stupid government.
10:24 PM on 07/06/2012
As a Chinese, this is absolutely great. It will bring modernity to a corner of China which is very hard to reach. Luckily in the 21th century, Tibet's elevation poses much less of a problem then before. I can't wait to go to Tibet once I get to China!
06:33 AM on 07/07/2012
A corner of China... or more accurately an independent sovereign state illegally occupied by China.
07:14 AM on 07/07/2012
Exactly, if you are a Tibetan this is not a welcome attraction--what Tibetans want is their country back--which as you said correctly was stolen from them and the Dali Lama. Long Live the Dali Lama and may he some day once again lead his people in his own country.
08:12 PM on 07/06/2012
thanks all goes to walmart. yes walmart has done wonderful things for the chinese.
06:58 PM on 07/06/2012
Possible theme parks names: 'Disney On Ice', 'Six Flags Over Tibet' or 'Monks Gone Wild on Top of the World'
06:31 PM on 07/06/2012
Powerful authorities in China have learned,if you can't beat them,join them and make some yuan's. Well for now they are at least not runnuing them over with tanks.
04:30 PM on 07/06/2012
Will there be a burning monk exhibit?
04:18 PM on 07/06/2012
In Tibet!? That's like the US building one in Point Barrow, Alaska. Beautiful country, but no one goes there. Good luck with that.
04:09 PM on 07/06/2012
Bet they don't let the Dali Lama attend.....lol.
03:49 PM on 07/06/2012
Just another move to take over Tibet.
03:15 PM on 07/06/2012
Name of the Park: Guns and Roses
03:13 PM on 07/06/2012
China does not deserve to have "most favored nation" status anywhere.
02:22 PM on 07/06/2012
Let's see, there'll be the Flaming Monk Ride, the Whack a Tibetan Game, Invasion World, the Torture Zone, It's a (really) Small World Ride, Political Re-education Camp, and a monorail to Future World where there is only Han Chinese. It's ok to invade a country and destroy their culture as long as you build a theme park!
01:24 PM on 07/06/2012
Welcome to Torture World!
12:55 PM on 07/06/2012
I wonder if they're going to have a torture the local Tibetans attraction?
12:31 PM on 07/06/2012
No autonomy! Roller Coaster!
11:57 AM on 07/06/2012
Only China could turn the Holy lands of Tibet into Disneyland.
12:58 PM on 07/06/2012
Yet we did the same with Indian land in Orlando or have you never heard of Disneyland?
11:01 AM on 07/06/2012
A theme park in Tibet? I have the perfect name: Lama Land!