Cyclone Fani crosses Odisha coast, weather across Asian subcontinent affected: Key points
* Cyclone Fani crossed the Odisha coast near Puri by Friday evening and by midnight to Saturday early morning the storm is likely to enter West Bengal with a wind speed of 90-100 kmph gusting to 115 kmph. The storm would further weaken by afternoon or evening on Sunday and move to Bangladesh with a wind speed of 60-70 kmph. The cyclone is also affecting weather conditions of neighboring countries.
* While Fani is expected to enter West Bengal with a wind speed of 90-100 kmph gusting to 115 kmph by Friday midnight or early Saturday, the intense rainfall and winds have partly destroyed nearly 50 houses in East Midnapore, West Bengal.
* The Assam go nment has sounded an alert in all districts of the state following a warning that Cyclone Fani will lash Assam and other parts of the northeastern region for two days starting Saturday early hours.
* One man died of a heart attack in one of several thousand shelters set up in Odisha, while another was killed by a falling tree on Friday, authorities said. Media reports put the death toll at up to six, but officials could not confirm this.
* The cyclone caused extensive damage to AIIMS Bhubaneswar with storm uprooting several overhead water tanks, part of the roof and several electricity poles in the campus. However, all patients, staff and students were reported safe.
* A baby was born in an Odisha railway hospital as the extremely severe storm wreaked its havoc. The newborn has been named after the storm- Fani by the 32-year old mother. Both were reported to be in good health.
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi assured all possible help to the state go nments affected by the cyclone. He announced that more than Rs 1,000 crore was released to concerned go nments yesterday in advance. The PM while addressing an election rally in Rajashtan's Karauli further assured the affected people that nation and Centre was with them.
* Telecom operator Vodafone Idea said it has initiated contingency measures, including activating emergency helpline number and free SMS, for its customers in Odisha.
* The cyclonic system, whose eye is around 28 km wide, is moving at around 30 kmph. But within the system, the winds are reaching speeds of up to 175 kilometers per hour that may go up to 200 kmph.
* On Friday evening civil aviation minister Suresh Prabhu said that the aviation regulator DGCA will issue revised advisories to airlines "as and when necessary", as flight operations at the Biju Patnaik International Airport remain suspended since Thursday midnight.
* More than 200 trains have been cancelled and operations at Paradip, Gopalpur and Dhamra ports stood closed since Thursday.
* All educational institutions, commercial establishments, shops and offices were closed on Friday morning along with restricted movement of vehicles.
* The go nment has set up 4,852 cyclone and flood shelters, where evacuees have been provided with cooked food.
* As many as 604 women, who are at advanced stages of pregnancy were shifted to maternal care centres. The health department formed 302 rapid response teams.
译文来源：三泰虎 http://www.santaihu.com/47548.html 译者：Jessica.Wu
AG CARES• 2 hours ago
The cyclone has caused too much harm to the economy of Odisha.
PRASAD GUNDEKAR• 2 hours ago
Bad news such situation distroy the lack of people life
Rahil Dholakia• 2 hours ago
May god bless them !!
Abhinav• 2 hours ago
I wish may everyone be safe
Debasish • 11 hours ago
this is the sign of a developed country, india under modi is performing superb.
DEBASISH NAYAK • 4 hours ago
LET ME KNOW WHO ESTABLISHED NDRF,
kuldeep kumar • 3 hours ago
Congress did in 2005, but after 50 years of ruling India! That was fast. But initially even that NDRF setup itself was a disaster.
Pralay • 10 hours ago
For Sometimes Please stop talking about Politics...
This is very serious issue.. U can't even imagine how dangerous 200 kmh wind is...
atleast keep calm for sometimes and pray for the people, animals , trees out there... their lives is in horrible situation... we only can pray for Marcy to our Mather nature....
pralay mandal • 3 hours ago
Some cannot get off the election mode.
pralay mandal • Chennai • 3 hours ago
Still many suspects Modi behind this!
Ganesh Vishvas • Bangalore • 12 hours ago
Pray God bring down and halt the might of the cyclone.
Alert • 11 hours ago
on thing I likes is Govt preparedness and their willingness to work proactive. the target of Zero casualty is also commendable. just shows Govt values life.
Suryanarayana Krishnamurthy • 11 hours ago
Full appreciation to NDRF for making all efforts to save human lives. Surprising why pappu is yet to blame Modi for having started Fani.
Suryanarayana Krishnamurthy • New Delhi • 7 hours ago
Expect some comments from Surjewala by evening accusing Modi for suffering of people in Orissa.
Chayan • 10 hours ago
dear Indian the whole world is with u
Venkat Apr • 2 hours ago
This is not state go nment. It''s all the preparedness of Modi go nment who deployed ships and helicopters along with helping people to shift to safer places. You Seems like a Modi hater but most of the people in India love Modi. And he is coming back.
Deepak • New Delhi • 11 hours ago
Government looks all prepared to deal with the situation. Great to see such proactive measures.
Suchitra Pradhan • 11 hours ago
Even though odisha being poor state but the disaster preparedness is high class.
Akhil Barman • 8 hours ago
Again, we should donate for the victims.
Prem Narayan • 11 hours ago
Everyone must cooperate in this natural disasters relief operation. Please no politics.
Excuse • 7 hours ago
Now SLAVES will say Modi did this to divert Election pressure....
Archana Dash • 8 hours ago
pray to god for less casualty
Bande mataram • 2 hours ago
This is the well preparedness of Modi go nment. I was in Florida when a few cyclones hits there but Modi go nment preparedness was far much better than US. We are becoming a developed nation.
Mahendra Vir Saxena • New Delhi • 7 hours ago
My heartfelt sympathies with the affected person in Orissa.
RJ Khurana • 9 hours ago
I am glad that the state of Odisha has made adequate preparation.
Some One • 11 hours ago
rahul ahuja • 11 hours ago
Hope Fani cyclone will take away Narrenderr Modi with it
rahul ahuja • 11 hours ago
It should first take away hypocrites like you and idiots like RaGa